I recently had the awesome opportunity to talk about my book, Eat Like A Champ, on a local Portland morning news show. It was exciting, and honestly a little scary.
It helped that I brought some of my favorite foods to talk about. Since berries are in season here in the Pacific Northwest, I was able to show off the strawberries and blueberries that I had just received as part of my CSA share. I also brought one of my favorite summer salads that is packed with superfoods:
I’ve had a lot of requests for the recipe, so here it is:
Blueberry Quinoa Salad
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin cold pressed olive oil
- salt / pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup raw almonds
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 cup blueberries
- 2 cups arugula, roughly chopped
- Cook the quinoa: add quinoa to pot with 2 cups of water and bring to a boil – switch to medium / low heat, checking and stirring every 5 minutes until moisture is absorbed, about 15 minutes total
- When the quinoa is cooked, set aside and allow it to cool
- Prep the dressing in a large bowl: pour in lemon juice, olive oil, salt / pepper and whisk everything together
- Chop the bell peppers, add to the bowl and mix with dressing until evenly coated
- Gently stir in almonds, blueberries and quinoa into the bowl with the dressing / pepper mix
- Refrigerate for at least one hour before serving and then enjoy!
- This recipe is vegetarian (and vegan and gluten-free BTW!), but it also tastes great topped with some grilled chicken.
Question for you: Do you have a favorite berry? Come on over to my Facebook page and let me know – I’d love to see some pics too!