With spring in full swing and summer just around the corner, I find myself craving lots of fresh, light foods! This is one of my favorite salad recipes, and it works well as both side item or a main dish. Plus, this salad is packed with super nutritious foods – or superfoods! Here are the top 3 superfoods in this recipes and why they are so super:
- Quinoa: Pronounced “Keen-Wah” this whole grain is packed with amino acids and protein and it has a mild, almost nutty flavor. Sprinkled in with all the veggies and other ingredients, quinoa provides a great base to this unique salad.
- Blueberries: With berry season approaching you will be able to find more local blueberry options! It’s a good thing too because this berry is the best, containing fiber, vitamin C and even fights cancer! They add a lovely sweetness to this salad.
- Almonds: As the most nutritiously dense nut, the almond packs a punch with fiber, potassium, calcium, vitamin E, magnesium and iron. They provide a little bit of crunch to this salad.
For even more superfood information, check here.
Quinoa Superfood Salad
Ingredients / Nutrition Information:
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 tbsp extra virgin cold pressed olive oil
- salt / pepper
- 1 cup dry quinoa, cooked accordingly
- 1/3 cup raw almonds
- 3/4 cup each of red and yellow bell peppers, chopped
- 3/4 cup blueberries
- 2 cups arugula, chopped
- Cook the quinoa – set aside and let cool
- Prep the dressing in a large bowl – pour in lemon, olive oil, salt / pepper and whisk everything together
- Chop the veggies, add to the bowl and mix with dressing until evenly coated
- Gently stir in almonds, blueberries and quinoa
- Refrigerate for at least one hour before serving and then enjoy!
- This is Meatless May, so I kept this dish vegetarian (and vegan and gluten free BTW!), but it also works great with some grilled chicken breast slices on top
Questions for you: Do you have a favorite Superfood? How do you pronounce Quinoa?