For years I had quite the morning coffee habit. When I had a long commute, I’d often motivate myself to get up early and beat traffic by stopping at Starbucks for a Venti Carmel Macchiato. This was not only hard on my wallet, but starting my day with a giant cup of espresso and sugar was not great for my health, and I was usually crashing by the time I actually rolled into the office. I was able to cut back to plain old coffee brewed at home with a splash of almond milk, but recently challenged myself to see if I could kick my morning habit after reading about the benefits of drinking warm lemon water first thing in the morning. Here are a few of my favorite reasons for making the switch:
- Boosts your immune system due to their high amounts of Vitamin C and Potassium
- Helps with digestion – clears the digestive track and flushes toxins from the body
- Clears Skin – Vitamin C will help decrease wrinkles and blemishes
There are many more great reasons to make the switch, as shown in this Info graphic from Holistic Voyage:
Warm Lemon Water in the Morning
- Lightly heat your water – not too hot or it will kill the helpful nutrients in the lemon. I microwave my mug for 1-2 minutes.
- Squeeze the juice from a large lemon wedge into the water and stir with a spoon.
- Drink on an empty stomach before your balanced breakfast.
- Watch out for seeds!
- If working to replace this process for your typical coffee, I would have my lemon water first, and then about 30 minutes later have some coffee, gradually decreasing the amount of coffee until I no longer had any at all. You can try cold turkey, but might end up with a headache by mid morning.
I’m happy to report that while I still will enjoy a cup of coffee now and again, usually on weekends as a treat, for the past 2 months I haven’t been tied to my morning coffee during the work week.
Question for you: What is your morning beverage of choice?
PS – I now have a Facebook page, where I’ll be linking my blog posts and sharing other health and fitness tips (and perhaps an occasional Greyhound photo). Check it out! 🙂