I have a confession to make: I think I’m addicted to kale! I love kale… While it is a rather new component to my diet, I eat it almost every day and when I don’t eat it regularly, I feel off. I’ve even tricked my husband into liking kale too 🙂 Here are three health benefits of this mighty green:
- Kale is low-calorie, high in fiber and has zero fat.
- Kale is a great source of calcium and can help prevent bone loss (osteoporosis). In fact, per calorie, kale has more calcium than milk, so if you are sensitive to dairy, try kale.
- Move over fish oil – kale has both omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids; omega-3 specifically helps fight against arthritis, asthma and autoimmune disorders.
Here is a great graphic with more fun facts about kale:
One of my favorite ways to eat kale is in a simple salad.
Simple Kale Salad
**Note – Cucumber slices are optional – I used some with this salad, but usually I just eat kale on its own.
Ingredients / Nutrition Information:
- 1.5 cups of chopped raw kale
- 5 spritzes of olive oil
- Cut or rip kale into bite size pieces, removing the thick stem in the middle of the leaf
- Wash the chopped kale by dunking it in cold water
- Dry either with a towel pat down or salad spinner
- Put kale into salad bowl
- Spritz with olive oil and sprinkle just a little salt over top
- Gently massage the olive oil and salt evenly into kale
- Wash the salty oil from your hands and enjoy your salad!
- Kale is an acquired taste – when you first try it, it might seem bitter and / or chewy. Sprinkle a little Parmesan or goat cheese on top.
- Lemon juice also adds a little zing.
- There are several different types of kale – curly kale, dino kale, purple kale – try them all and see if you like one better than the other.
- If raw kale isn’t your thing, saute it with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Finally, you can also try sneaking a little into a smoothie. I’ll be posting a green smoothie recipe later this month – stay tuned!
Questions for you: Do you have a favorite green veggie recipe? Post a comment to let me know and you can be a guest blogger!