A recent focus of my Health Coaching studies has been Vegetarian and Vegan Diets. The benefits of a plant based diet are pretty amazing, here are three that caught my attention:
- Cancer risk is decreased by about 40%
- Blood pressure will decrease and heart disease can be reversed
- If you are over-weight, changing to a plant based diet can help you loose 10% of body weight
For more information, this is a great website about plant based diets with many helpful resources. Full disclosure – I’m not a vegetarian, and I’m likely not going to become one. However, based on my recent leanings, I WILL incorporate more Vegetarian and Vegan recipes into my regular menu planning and see where that takes me! So tonight’s dinner is a Vegetarian Three Bean Chilli – chock full of fiber from all those legumes, so it is a very hearty and satisfying meal and makes enough for diner and leftovers to have for lunch.
Vegetarian Three Bean Chilli
Ingredients / Nutrition Information:
- Chop Onion and Red Pepper and place in crock pot
- Season based on your flavor preferences – I used black pepper, cumin and chilli powder
- Open and drain three cans of beans and pour into crock pot – stir all ingredients
- Open can of tomatoes and pour in crock pot – stir all ingredients again
- Cook on Low for 4 hours
- Serve with your favorite chilli toppings – cilantro, shredded cheese, green onion are a few of my favorites
Question for you: Do you have a favorite crock pot or vegetarian recipe? Post a comment to let me know and you can be a guest blogger!