Since we went to a Super Bowl party this past Sunday, we didn’t make chilli – our typical dinner with Sunday football. So instead I tried something new with a fiesta on Saturday and chicken in the crock pot. This recipe is great because:
- Green Salsa is so tasty! And it’s not spicy for anyone who wants to avoid spicy foods.
- Chicken cooks great in the slow cooker – it shredded so easily and it was still really juicy and flavorful.
- You can keep it very simple or add some fun optional green ingredients, like lime and avocado.
Crock Pot Fiesta Chicken Verde
Ingredients / Nutrition Information:
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 jar of salsa Verde (if you can’t find green salsa, any salsa of your choice will work – I think the green looks best though with this group of ingredients)
- 1 can of navy beans
- 1 white onion – chopped
- 1 red bell pepper – chopped
- 1 tbsp taco seasoning – optional
- 2 wedges of Light Laughing Cow Cheese (or a spoonful of cream cheese) – optional
- Cilantro – optional
- 1 lime, juiced – optional
- Place chicken in crock pot
- Pour in salsa
- Drain and pour in navy beans
- Add chopped onions
- Sprinkle on taco seasoning – if using
- Stir salsa, beans, onions together, leaving chicken on the bottom of crock pot
- Slow cook on low for 6 hours, until chicken is cooked and about to fall apart
- Pull out chicken onto a plate
- Using 2 forks, shred the chicken, then add back into crock pot
- Add in chopped red pepper and squeeze the juice of the lime on top
- Stir in laughing cow cheese wedges / cream cheese
- Cook for another 30 minutes or so
- Serve in a bowl or in tortillas topped with cilantro (nutrition information will vary if using tortillas)
- Tastes great with avocado!
- Feel free to spice it up with your favorite hot sauce
Question for you: Do you have a favorite crock pot recipe? Post a comment to let me know and you can be a guest blogger!