Sweet potatoes! They aren’t just for Thanksgiving – covered with brown sugar and marshmallows – anymore 🙂 Here are 3 reasons to eat sweet potatoes more often:
- They are a source of vitamin D, which effects are energy levels and moods as well as bone and heart health. Normally people rely on sunshine to get vitamin D – but this time of year, especially in the Pacific Northwest where I live, there may be a shortage of sunshine.
- They are high in beta carotene and other powerful anti-oxidants that help ward of cancer and signs of aging
- Sweet potatoes are also a good source of iron
Roasted Sweet Potatoes
Ingredients and Nutritional Information:
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- olive oil (in a spray bottle)
- chilli powder (optional)
- Set oven to 350 degrees
- Peel the sweet potatoes
- Chop up the sweet potatoes into bite size pieces
- Spread the sweet potatoes bites into a glass, oven-safe baking dish
- Spritz with olive oil – about 10 times
- Sprinkle with chilli powder – stir for even coverage
- Roast in the over for 30-40 minutes; check half way through and stir as needed
- While I don’t think chilli powder is too spicy and it works well with the sweetness of the sweet potato, but are worried it will be too hot, use another seasoning – like parsley or oregano.
- Or try putting chilli powder on half the dish only to taste test the spicy vs. non-spicy – maybe the heat won’t be too bad.
- If you have good knife skills, slice into longer wedges and enjoy some sweet potato fries – yum! You’ll want to flip them a few times during to ensure even cooking.
Question for you: Do you have a favorite Winter Roasting recipe you’d like to share? Please post a comment and let me know and you can be a guest blogger!